Opera browser can now force websites to load in a dark theme
The Opera browser dev channel has a new option that allows users to force dark mode on websites you visit. Dark Mode is a fan-favorite feature across various apps and operating systems, as it’s easy on the eyes in low-light environments and even helps save battery life on devices with an LED display.
Most browsers have a setting to change the theme color to Light, Dark, or Auto/System. The problem with these settings is that they only change the look of the browser interface, but don’t really affect the web pages you load. As a result, websites that use a light theme will still be blindingly bright, even in dark mode.
The most common solution to this problem is to use an add-on such as Dark Reader for Firefox and Chrome. The extension works pretty well for the most part. But it would be nice to have a native option in the browser, and that’s precisely what the Opera browser has chosen to bring in the latest version that has rolled out to the developer channel.
According to the official announcement, the new option is available when selecting Easy Setup. Interestingly, it is not visible in the settings if you are already using the browser. But don’t let that put you off, it’s not just about clean installs and easy setup. Here is how you can toggle the option manually.
How to enable Force dark theme in Opera browser
1. Open the Opera flags page to access the experimental settings.
2. Click in the search box in the upper right corner of the page and type the word Dark.
3. It will highlight a flag labeled “Enable forced dark theme on settings and easy setup pages”. By default, the value of this flag is set to D because it is disabled.
Note: The screenshot says Default: On, but that’s because I tested it several times before capturing the image.
4. Click on the drop-down menu next to it and set its value to enabled.
5. Restart the browser by clicking the relaunch button at the bottom of the window.
6. Open the Opera Settings page and scroll down to the Appearance section.
7. The browser will have a new option here. Toggle the switch that says “Force dark theme on pages”.
That’s it. Try visiting a web page that has a light theme. It should now display the website with the dark theme without any add-ons.
Here’s a demo showing you the new feature in action right here on Ghacks.
It’s pretty cool, isn’t it?
Download Opera 89.0.4436.0 Developer version from the official website, the new version is available for Windows, macOS and Linux. The release is based on the Chromium version, 103.0.5060.13.
Do you like the force dark mode option in Opera? Or do you prefer to use the light theme?