How to Update Your Web Browser on a PC
Updating your browser is important to ensure that you have installed all the latest security updates and are able to load web pages properly. An update often comes with new features and interface changes that can breathe new life into your browser.
In addition to the browser, you should also keep your browser extensions updated or remove extensions that are no longer supported by developers. Updating browsers is not very difficult and in most cases they are set to update automatically by default. However, if you’ve never updated a browser manually, you may need help finding where the option is in your browser.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to update most major web browsers on a Windows PC so you’re always running the latest version. We will include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Opera.
How to Update Google Chrome to the Latest Version
By default, Google Chrome is set to update automatically so new versions usually install as they are released. If Chrome has downloaded automatic updates while you were using the browser, you must relaunch the browser to complete the installation of updates.
- Click the ellipsis in the top right and select To help > About Google Chrome.
You can also paste the following address in the URL bar:
- You will see the current version of Google Chrome installed on your PC. If you also see a message saying Chrome is up to dateyou already have the latest version.
If Chrome finds any available updates, it will automatically install them and you will see a To restart side button. Click it to restart the Chrome browser, and now you will have the latest version of Chrome.
If you are unable to update your Chrome, you may need to repair the Chrome browser in order to update it successfully.
How to update Firefox to the latest version
Just like Chrome, Firefox automatically installs updates as they become available. If you have reason to believe that you are not using the latest version, check the current version and see if there are any updates available for Firefox by following the process illustrated below.
- Click on the hamburger icon at the top right of the browser and select To help > About Firefox.
- You will see a pop-up window. If a new update is available, Firefox will automatically start downloading the update.
- Once the updates are installed, you will see a button that says Restart to update Firefox. Click it to restart Firefox, and you will now have the latest version installed.
How to update Microsoft Edge to the latest version
Edge is a Chromium-based browser, so much of the process is the same as Chrome. It also installs updates automatically, but you can check for updates yourself from the About section.
- Select the horizontal ellipsis at the top right of the Edge browser and select Help and feedback > About Microsoft Edge.
- Edge will automatically check for software updates and start downloading them if available.
- Once the updates are downloaded, you will need to click on the To restart button. This will restart your internet browser and install the latest updates.
How to Update Internet Explorer to the Latest Version
There is no built-in functionality to update Internet Explorer. You will have to rely on Windows Update. When you update Windows, browser updates for Internet Explorer are installed along with other updates for your Windows operating system.
Also, the latest Windows operating system (Windows 11) does not have Internet Explorer, so this section is relevant if you are using Windows 10 or an earlier version of Windows.
- Click on the start menu button, search for Check for updatesand press Walk in.
- Click on the Check for updates and let Windows check for available updates.
If Windows finds them, install them and you will then be running the latest version of Internet Explorer.
How to update Opera to the latest version
Opera updates automatically whenever an update is available. However, you can also try updating Opera manually to the latest version.
- Launch Opera and select the Opera logo at the top left of the browser window. To select To help > About Opera.
- Opera will automatically start checking for updates and install if it finds any available updates.
- Once the updates are installed, click on the Now restart to restart Opera and complete the installation.
How to update other browsers
If you are using a browser that is not listed, such as the Brave or UC browser, you can still follow a general process to update your browser. You need to find the Help or About section of your browser, which is usually found in the Settings menu.
Once in the About section, you will be able to see the current browser version. This is also where most browsers will show if a newer version is available. If so, you will also see an option to update the browser. Once the update is complete, restart the browser and you will have updated to the latest version.
If you are trying to update your browser due to a specific issue, you should consult the following guides:
Update your browser today
I hope you were able to update your browser successfully. If you are using a different operating system, such as Mac OS X which comes with Safari installed as your default browser, you will need to follow a different process. You can also install Safari on Windows, but you won’t be able to update it since Apple stopped development in 2012.
The process is also different for Android or iOS devices, on which you will need to use the Google Play Store or the App Store, respectively. Regardless of the devices you use, updating your browser is essential to ensure a safe browsing environment and access to the latest features.