How to Change the Default Browser on an iPhone or Android
There are many browsers available for iPhone and Android users besides the best ones. Some people even have personal favorites that they like to use because of their unique features. When you open links on your iPhone and Android, they appear on the default browser you have set on your device.
But what if you don’t like your default browser? What if you want it to be replaced by something else?
Fortunately, there is a way to do this easily. This article will guide you step by step to change your default browser on your iPhone or Android device.
How to change the default browser on Android
If you are an Android user, chances are Chrome is set as the default browser. However, this should not be your only option. You can update your browser to use Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Vivaldi or Brave if you wish.
Whichever browser you prefer to use on your Android device, setting it as the default option is a relatively simple process. Here’s what you need to do:
- Of your House page, go to Settings.
- Select apps.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose your default apps.
- In this section, find the browser application.
- To change it, find your favorite Android browser and tap on it.
- Your browser will then be reset.
If the browser you want to download is not already on your Android device, you will need to install it through the Google Play Store. To do this:
- Of your House screen, go to Google Play Store.
- Type the name of the browser you want to use in the search bar.
- Select Install.
- Once this is complete, follow the previous steps to change your default browser on your Android device.
It should be noted that any links opened using your social media accounts will automatically be opened using the default web browser.
How to Change the Default Browser on an iPhone
It’s a common misconception that Apple works with a more compact system than Android devices. Unless you are using iOS 14 or higher, it is not possible to change your default browser. For this reason, before you start, the first step is to make sure your iOS settings are updated to the latest version.
- Of your House screen, go to Settings.
- Scroll down until you see the app for your browser.
- Once you tap on the browser, select Default browser app.
- Choose the browser you want to use as the default setting, a tick will appear next to the chosen browser to confirm.
Also, if you haven’t yet installed your browser of choice on your iPhone from the App Store, here’s how to do it:
- Of your House screen, press the Application store.
- In the search bar at the top, type the name of the browser.
- Once you find your browser, tap the download button next to it.
- When your download is complete, follow the previous steps to successfully change your default browser.
Can I remove Safari from my iPhone?
There is currently no option to completely remove Safari from any iOS device. However, the app can be disabled. To do this:
1. From your House screen, go to Settings.
2. Enter screen time.
3. Press Content and Privacy Restrictions.
4. Select Apps allowed.
5. Using the toggle on your screen, set Safari to STOPPED Where ON.
It is important that users are happy with the browser they use on their smartphones. And everyone can look for different things when looking for the right browser. Some may want to set up an anonymous browser to surf the web, while others may want to protect their children’s online identity.
Whatever the reason, knowing how to successfully change your default browser settings on an iPhone or Android can be critical. Fortunately, the process is relatively easy to do.
However, users should keep in mind that only specific iPhone versions (iOS 14 and later) can change the default browser. At the same time, it is possible to update your default browser, regardless of the Android device you are using.
Have you tried changing your default browser on your smartphone? How did you find the process? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.