How to Change the Default Browser and Search Engine in Windows
Your choice of search engine can be determined by many factors, including speed, appearance, ease of use, privacy, and customization options. Some people stick with the default search engine included with their browser. But it would be better if you took the time to choose a search engine that suits you best.
You might want to put privacy above everything else, or you’ll choose the one with the best search filters. We’ve rounded up four options to get you started. Tap or click here to see our comparison between Google, Startpage, DuckDuckGo and Bing.
Windows 11 launched last year, along with a new version of Edge, with the Bing search engine set as default. It’s the same case for Windows 10. If you want to change both or either of these default options, we’re here to help.
Change your default browser
Microsoft is ending support for Internet Explorer on June 15, 2022. If you’ve ever tried to remove the browser from your computer, you know it’s not an easy process.
Although you can disable the browser, the files remain on your computer. Deleting these files could cause problems because the browser is tied to other Windows processes. There are workarounds for this, but you’d be taking a chance.
RELATED: New tips and tricks for Windows 11.
The same case goes for Edge. You can switch the default browser to another, but you don’t have to uninstall it. Microsoft doesn’t want you to meddle with Edge, and the process to change it isn’t that easy, but it can be done through Windows.
To change your default browser in Windows 11:
- Go to Settings > Apps > Default apps.
- Scroll to your favorite browser or type its name in the search box.
- Select your preferred browser and scroll down to a list of browser files (http, https.).
- Click on the name of the current default browser for https and change it to the browser of your choice, then click on Okay.
- Do the same for each specific file type: http, .htm, .html.
- If you get a before changing popup, just click change anyway.
- You must change the assigned browser for each specific file type.
To change your default browser in Windows 10:
- Go to Settings > Default apps
- Click on the current default browser under Web browser and select the one you want to edit.
RELATED: Malware Exposes Saved Passwords in Browsers – Check Your Data Now
Change your default search engine
The steps to change your default search engine differ depending on the browser you are using.
To change your default search engine in Edge:
- Open Edge and tap the three points menu in the upper right corner and press Settings.
- Press the three lines top left menu and cpipe Privacy, Research and Services.
- Scroll down and tap Address bar and search under the Services section.
- Open the drop-down menu next to Search engine used in the address bar and choose your favorite search engine.
- If you don’t see your search engine, click manage search enginesthen click To add to get the one you want.
To change your default search engine in Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and select the three vertical dots next to your profile icon and select Settings.
- To select Search engine in the menu on the left side.
- Choose another option from the drop-down menu next to Search engine used in the address bar.
- To add a new search engine, select manage search engines and click To addthen fill in the fields for Search engine, Keyword and URL with %s in place of query.
To change your default search engine in Firefox:
- Open Firefox and select the three vertical lines next to your profile icon and select Choice.
- To select To look for and choose another option from the drop-down menu under Default search engine.
- To add a new search engine, select Find more search engines at the bottom of the search page. Look for the search engine or find it in the list, select the option, then select Add to Firefox.
To change your default search engine in Safari:
- Open Safari and navigate to Safari menu > Preferences.
- Select the drop-down menu next to Default search engine and select the one you want to set as default.
Tap or click here to discover a privacy-focused search engine that wants to replace Google.