Google issues an urgent warning for anyone using the Chrome browser
An unusually rare emergency warning for Google Chrome users. Serious security flaws have been discovered in one of the world’s most popular web browsers. Although many browsers can be set to update automatically, it is recommended that you check manually for updates immediately.
Threat Level – HIGH
If an update for Chrome is available, follow the steps below to resolve these security vulnerabilities as soon as possible. Download only from official sources and never from a link found in an email, text message or social media post. I’ll show you how at the bottom of this report.
Danger for Windows and Mac devices
Google’s warning comes with disturbing threats, including the most obvious concern that a threat actor could exploit your device through this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code. Simply put, a hacker can take control of your device and make it do a number of dangerous things in the background without you knowing.
The Google Chrome alert is targeted to all devices from Google Chrome browser downloads, not only here in the US but worldwide. The problem stems from a previously reported zero-day hack and a critical Redis vulnerability which both appear to be more dangerous than originally thought. Many details of the operation have not been disclosed. More importantly, it just caught the attention of the US government’s Cyber Command.
US Cybersecurity Alert Enabled
An official CISA alert is now issued from March 29, as the severity of the risk is becoming better known. Google, for its part, does not discuss the exact nature of the vulnerabilities so that people have the option of downloading the latest Chrome update designed to address the known security threat.
Update of 06/04/22: Another emergency update is announced, bringing Chrome to version 100.0.4896.75
How to protect all your devices 24/7
While it is very important to keep software updated from trusted sources, this threat once again highlights the importance of adding a solid antivirus security protection layer on all your devices. More often than not, these types of security threats are detected and prevented from harming you if you have deployed good protection. Lock in your technology now. See my review of antivirus protection for 2022, including our TotalAV top pick.
How to Safely Update Chrome Browser Now
- For those with access to Google Chrome for Mac
- To select About Chromium from the Chrome menu
- Allow it to scan from a most recent update
- Click on To restart to complete the update
- Open Chrome browser
- At the top right, click After
- Click on To helpso About Google Chrome
- To select Update Google Chrome
Note: If you don’t see the “Update Google Chrome” button, your browser is already updated
- Click on To restart complete
- From your phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store app
- Press the profile icon top right
- To select Manage apps and device
- To find Chromium located under “Updates available”
- Faucet Update
iPhones and iPads
- To throw Apple App Store
- Faucet Profile top right (it looks like you or the shape of a person)
- Scroll to “Updates available” and search for Chrome
- If you see Chrome in the list, tap Update
- Enter your password or Apple ID password if prompted
- Chrome will automatically update once the download is complete
We will continue to update this story as more information becomes known. If you found this report useful, consider sharing it with friends and family.